SailNet Community - View Single Post - Type of Anchor without windlass..
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
I will duck the anchor question with a few questions. What size are the anchors? Where do you plan to anchor? What type of bottom?
Do you have a bow roller? If not a roller makes retrieval much easier. I fabricated one for the MC to fit my needs. The best advice I can give you is be patient. Let the boat and mother nature do the heavy work. I am usually single-handed so I slowly pull in the rode, this can be a pain if it is blowing and choppy but just take it slow. There have been times when I had to motor forward drop it in neutral dash up to the bow pull in some rode cleat off and repeat. I use mostly chain so fouling the rode is not to big of a worry. The idea is to get directly above the anchor and cleat of the rode. I have a large sampson post so I can use it to secure either line or chain. You will have to figure out what works for you. When I am over the anchor I power forward a little and work the anchor lose. This also takes some time and maybe several attempts so again be patient. You can fell the anchor come out. If single-handed and in a crowded anchorage do not waste any time getting the anchor on deck and getting back in control of your boat. If you know you are in a muddy area a rag helps your grip. Keep your fingers clear! Dan S/V Marian Claire

Last edited by marianclaire; 09-17-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook