SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3 Rescued from Sailboat on LI Sound
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Weather forecast, we don't need no steeking weather forcast.. - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Looking her over, it appears that the jib zippered out of the tuff luff, and then they lowered it, to promptly sink and wrap around the shaft, because that's where it is. The jib is tacked on to a Furlex, and the halyard is over the side with some sail around the shaft and skeg. The main is "storm" furled with whatever rope they had aboard. You could hoist it now.
Finally, the weather the night they "abandoned the boat because it was sinking" was really... meh. I mean, the anemometer on my house was reading about 24-26 knots, gusting to 32-34 at best. Not your choice evening for a delivery, but certainly not an "oh my God we're all gonna die call the Coast Guard" type of night either. Let's face it, we've all raced in worse, let alone delivered. According to a friend, you should have heard these guys on VHF Ch. 16. We're on the south side of LI Sound, so the nearest Coast Guard station isn't "near." It's in New Haven. So generally, Suffolk County PD and the local volunteer fire departments respond in their generic 28' "rescue" boats. These guys were calling for help on the radio, and were told that it might take 30-45 minutes to get a boat to them off Wading River. Then they started screaming that they didn't have that long to live. They were scared, really scared.

Okay, so chalk it up to complete inexperience, and no, none of us were there so we have no idea what really happened to these guys. No harm, no foul. Most likely someone bought a boat, found two buddies who had not been sailing much to help him deliver, and well, as the thread title says, "Weather forecast, we don't need no steeking weather forecast." Then things started going south, and they panicked. If they had only stayed with the boat they could have just washed ashore in my back yard, and I would gladly have given them hot coffee and breakfast.
Now, would you please get your sailboat off my beach? Sailflow is calling for 20 knots of easterlies all day, and this thing is going to wind up racked up on the eastern jetty of Mattituck Inlet by sunset. They called in Douglass Marine for an estimate on what it would cost to haul her off the beach, but they didn't like the price, so they declined. Meanwhile. the locals are "exploring" their new find, and I think eight people have approached me asking what the definition of salvage rights is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook