SailNet Community - View Single Post - buyer's broker payment questions
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011

fowlerpb is on a distinguished road
buyer's broker payment questions

MY wife and I are in the market for a used boat.

However, my wife and I can't seem to trust a buyer's broker. They are paid by commission and as such are fundamentally pushed away from really viewing boats the way we view them. We can't figure out how to take money out of the equation with a buyer broker, especially in economic hard times. It is not really the fault of the broker, but of the commission model.

But we want someone to help us narrow down our list of over 80 boats that we are looking at in the NE. It takes too much time to go look at all these boats. We want someone to help us find the best surveyor and find a good yard to help fix up any problems with the boat we buy. We don't mind paying the proper price for a good broker who really was finding our best boat with us. At this point we would like assurance this is even possible.

Surely we are not the first people to have lost trust in the commission method of payment for a buyer's broker, so what are the alternatives? Is there a broker in the NE that works off something other than commission that is any good at helping narrow down the many choices?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook