SailNet Community - View Single Post - buyer's broker payment questions
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I agree with you. I worked on straight commission for 29 years - electronics - and nobody wants you to be as happy with your purchase as someone on commission.
I was going to make the same point. If you use a broker to help you find and purchase a boat, they really, REALLY want to make you happy with the entire process. One of the primary reasons is that good brokers tend to live and die based on their reputation.

Plus, if you are happy with their services, who will you go to in 5 years when you decide that what you really need is a boat just 2 feet longer? Then you'll not only be purchasing another boat, but selling your existing boat. The broker gets two commissions.

I'm a bit biased because when I bought my current boat I used a buyers broker. She was not only someone that I trusted, but someone in my Yacht Club so she had lots of incentive to look out for my interests.

Find a boat owner that has a good relationship with a broker and get referred to them. No one wants to disappoint a friend or associate.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook