SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about buying my first boat. Am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011

Pointy_End is on a distinguished road
Thinking about buying my first boat. Am I crazy?

First of all, hi everyone! I've been reading here for a while but this is my first post.

So, I've been bitten by the sailing bug, but I have a few questions before I take the plunge and buy a boat. I have been on a sail boat before, but have never sailed one myself (or crewed). I have a fair amount of time on the water in larger powered vessels though.

I'm thinking of buying something along the lines of a Catalina 27, or possibly something a little smaller (20' to 23' range) to learn to sail on. Ideally I'd like to sail around the Gulf Islands and explore; probably spending a weekend on board occasionally (with wife in tow), or maybe another couple for a day sail. I will take a sailing course if available, but I think they might be winding down for the season.

- Am I crazy to buy a sailboat this time of year? I'm thinking I might get a better deal, but might not get as much time on the water. Still it doesn't get "that" cold here.

My ideal budget is around $5000, but could probably go close to $10000 if I found a fantastic deal, and there seems to be a lot available at this price range.

- Are boats in this price range ('70's vintage mostly) going to fall apart on me in a couple years? Or is it something I'd be able to resell with proper maintenance? I intend to have a sail savvy friend look it over first of course.

I'm asking mostly because there is a very good chance I'll be moving inland for work in a few years and would need to sell it.

- How does one dispose of a boat that is no longer sail-able? Is there a marine junkyard of any kind?

- Is it difficult to repaint a boat? Some that I've seen look very weathered. Do you need a professional to do it like with a car? Or is it something most people could do themselves?

OK I think that's it for now. The sailing bug seems to be highly infectious and I think I gave it to my wife, so I need a sober opinion. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook