SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Whats the name mean????

14K views 97 replies 67 participants last post by  zz4gta 
#1 ·
So I got to thinking while I was doing my later blog entry on the name of my boat...

"What's that mean!?!?" | Cuajota

What does your boat name mean? Mine is Cuajota and it is cuban slang for the 4 J's...Cuban doctor who originally bought it had a family with 4 J names in it...makes sense...My family also had 4 J's in it so its kind of fitting...but does your boat's name have a story behind it???

#34 ·
There's a Nordic Tug 37 in our marina named Mazel Tug. There's also a sailboat in the yard named Star Song with hailing port as Planet Earth.

Our boat came with the name Halcyon, meaning tranquil. Since I renamed our last boat and ended up having a lung removed, we decided not to take the chance with another name change.

#37 · (Edited)
Haleakula- Hawaiian for House of the Sun

We got married on Maui on a Makenna with Haleakula looming behind us. It is an extinct volcano which is worn down now to a mere 10,000 ft above sea leavel and makes up one of the two sides of the island of Maui.

Those who have visited Maui may have taken the famous ride up Haleakula at 3 AM in the AM to see the mythical sunrise the ancient Polyanesians did and named it what they did. Tourists often take the 38 mile all downhill bike ride on special bikes through 15 temperature zones to the beach below.

We just got back from our trip ( very 5 years) to Maui and Kauai 2 weeks ago. This year in fact we took a 5 hour horseback ride down the trial into the caldera (8 miles by 5 miles) which dropped us 4,000 ft into the floor of the volcano. NO plants, cinder cones, like the face of the moon. Homw of the famous Silversword plant as thats the only place on earth it grows.

Dave

#39 ·
Our boat is named "Wind Swept I". Because we are Canada we had to add the "I" suffix as only one boat in the whole country can be registered with a particular name and there already was a "Wind Swept". If I got the chance to name a boat, I think I will name it "Crisis Management"

#41 ·
Worked for a heavy drinker years back - called his ******** Sclerosis of the River

C & C custom 45 out of Rochester, midwatch blue with custom rainbow waterline graphics - Dorothy Gale, hailing port Kansas of course

Rugosa (japanese rose) - Herreshoff New York 40 built 1925, Bremuda winner 1928, a fast & beautiful classic sled, one of 4 remaining from 14, rumored to be restored and active in Scandinavia

#42 ·
AiniA

Also Canadian-registered and it is very hard to get a unique name without a trailing number. My wife is Chinese and "Ai ni" means "love you" in Chinese. We added the extra 'A' to make the name a palindrome.

Many Americans think that Canadians add 'eh' to everything they say, so we tell them the name means 'Love you, eh' in Chinese.

Any other palindromic names out there? We have friends whose boat is named "Toot" but would like to know of others.

#45 ·
Our boat name is simple and the reasons behind it are outlined on the opening page of my blog. Naming a boat is very personal, and for us, a difficult decision. For me, I never was into the "cute and clever" names. However names, just like the boats they are painted on, are very individual.

#46 ·
My first boat came with the name Rhythm and it seemed a perfect description of what sailing is ... the sea, the sails, the boat and crew all must be 'in rhythm' for things to go smoothly. We kept the name and loved it. We loved it enough that we kept the name for our new boat, no longer Sojourner...it is rechristened Rhythm. Still the only one I know of on the Bay, and a name fitting a sailing vessel.

#48 ·
There was an Adams 10 around here called "Ten Too" (hmm..) that sank in a race.. the guy bought a new one and called it "Ten Past Too". Rather clever, I thought. :)

Then I suppose there is the Michael Hiatt's "Living Doll" - with an RIB Chase Boat called "Inflatable Doll" (of course!) and two Etchells: "Bad Doll" and "Very Bad Doll". :laugher

#49 ·
I always thought a good, un-PC name for a sailboat would be "Amish Speedboat." Obviously it would have to be motorless.

"Take Five" is obviously the name of the famous Paul Desmond song, and hits home on a number of levels for us. I am a musician and play a lot of jazz, so it fits there. We have five in our family, and of course the phrase "Take Five" is a metaphor for relaxation, which is the purpose of our boat. Also, and of more than minimal importance, it is a good two-syllable name that is very easy to understand over a radio, so it seems a good, safe name for communications.

Also, I work for DuPont, famous for its "Take Two" safety culture. If/when we get a dinghy we will name it "Take Two." Too cute, I know.

#51 ·
Kialoa

Our boat was named when we bought her.

"Kialoa" is a hawaiian word that means a long, light, swift canoe used for racing or display. It may also refer to a beautiful woman and her shape.

Our Southern Cross 31 would not normally be described as long, light nor swift in relation to other boats. However she is very beautiful and shapely, so although we have no specific ties to Hawaii the name suits her and us.

My favorite dinghy name that I have seen was "Toad behind"

tj

#52 ·
The Bears two cents
When I first got married I was into "cat driving" with a Hobie 16. After several months of watching me and my partner from the beach My wife declaired that Me and my d--m cat could leave her home the next race and thus "Mydam Cat" got painted on her side. Now that we are older and I no longer dive cat we share eveings on "Free Birds"

#56 ·
My first boat, a Coronado 25 apparently was never named in it's 43 years. I noticed several people on sailing forums seem to refer to old sailboats as an "old shoe". So, I named the boat "Old Shoes" in an homage to all the tough, old boats still sailing or waiting to be sailed out there.

I did not get a chance to actually affix the name or graphics to the boat, and I recently sold it.

I replaced it with a Pearson 30 named "Sea Wooluf". As near as I can determine, "wooluf" is simply a German pronounciation of "wolf". Although she is a fast sailing predator, she is getting long in the tooth and isn't really competitive with modern monohull boats, so I'll soon be removing the graphics and re-naming her "Old Shoes".

A re-naming ceremony with large quantities of liquor will be held. :cool:

#57 ·
My first boat, a Coronado 25 apparently was never named in it's 43 years. I noticed several people on sailing forums seem to refer to old sailboats as an "old shoe". So, I named the boat "Old Shoes" in an homage to all the tough, old boats still sailing or waiting to be sailed out there.

I did not get a chance to actually affix the name or graphics to the boat, and I recently sold it.

I replaced it with a Pearson 30 named "Sea Wooluf". As near as I can determine, "wooluf" is simply a German pronounciation of "wolf". Although she is a fast sailing predator, she is getting long in the tooth and isn't really competitive with modern monohull boats, so I'll soon be removing the graphics and re-naming her "Old Shoes".

A re-naming ceremony with large quantities of liquor will be held. :cool:
No virgins?;)........i2f

#59 ·
Ours is Island Time.

I have a pretty stressful job, so when we're on the boat we're on Island Time.

#60 ·
A boat I saw in Pensacola Florida was named "Mynasis Dragon". My boats are named "Hello Darlin' " and "Manana" (with a tilde over the first N). When using my VHF, I have a really hard time understanding boat names over the radio. I'm always conscious of this when thinking about new names for a boat.

#62 · (Edited)
Bootlegger is the Boat and my Wine label is "Bootlegger Brews" for the Home made Wine and Flavored Liquors I make on the boat!

I'm a Bootlegger!

Attachments

Reactions: chrisncate
#63 ·
A friend of ours has a boat named 'Prelude'. I suggested the dinghy he towed behind be called 'Postlude'. His wife replied, "And the Captain can just be 'Lude'".

#66 ·
Yacht - Kumquat May
Tender - Kumquat Mite

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.