SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking to purchase a Catalina 27
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Looking to purchase a Catalina 27

I have been a sailor on The Chesapeake bay for almost 30 years. I have sailed on boats from 8' to 300' including my 22' Seafarer and a Skipjack (for a day) and 2 square rigged ships (both short times as well). Most of my sailing will be with my wife, but I consider it short handed sailing and would like to rig the boat for single handed. Any tips you may have would be helpful.

Racing isn't in my plans although I have raced extensively on a Tartan 33R on The Bay a while back. I see my sailing as mostly day sailing and weekend trips with the possibility of a week long voyage. I have sailed The Bay from Georgetown on The Sassafras to Yorktown on The York. But the majority of my sailing has been around the central part, Annapolis to Herring Bay with West River as my center of the sailing universe.

I am seriously considering purchasing a used Cat 27 this coming winter/spring. I am seeking any tips you may have on what to watch for. I think I want to only consider an Outboard version so when I have to deal with re-power it is greatly simplified and less costly.

Joe McCary
Aeolus
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook