SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Furling Line on Hood Seafurl 810
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBaySailor View Post
My rigging inspector suggested that I replace the old 7/16" continuous single-loop furling line with 1/2" line because the furler will no longer grab the line and reef - it just runs out. The thinking is that the thicker diameter line might give the furler more to grab and, if pulled in hard, will reef. Anyone try this on their boat with success? Can a 1/2" line replace the 7/16" line for this furler? Thanks! Bruce (Bristol 29.9 on West River, Galesville)

Bruce, I would cut a foot or so of the line that you are thinking about buying and see how well it sets into the groove. You might find that 7/16" is what fits best.
IMO you would be best off using a harder line rather than a soft one. But your furler is notorious for being difficult to reef with. If you need to shorten sail, it's sometimes necessary to go forward and secure the drum by tying the tack shackle off to the bow rail or something.

But far be it from me to second guess your rigger.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook