SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying to reason with Hurricane season!
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011

Mariner777 is on a distinguished road
Wintering in Bimini costs? Timeframe? Best anchorage?

I am contemplating wintering in Bimini after the Hurricanes die down. I currently have a pretty sweet slip and am on the fence about doing this. I was wondering what sort of tourist rip off I may be expecting in terms of fees? Heard something about a cruising permit? Is there a charge to anchor like in Miami? How outrageous is food? (like say 6 pack of beer? Week of groceries for two people eating mostly fresh vegetables?)

I would consider going down end of October or so.

On the flip side when does it get ungodly hot? How far is the next nearest island and is that a better place?

I kind of like to go find a nice spot and hang out for a while am not a fan of hauling up the anchor every day more of a seasonal mover so want to sort of pick a spot and stay there till the spring...

Also how is the crime? Am contemplating driving down to Ft Lauderdal and hopping a cruise over to scope it out before investing the effort and energy of going there to find it was a mistake. I may not get much of a sense though as those ships are floating mall-like tourist buses...

Any input appreciated thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook