SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 26 vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2001

etordahl is on a distinguished road
MacGregor 26 vs. ?

I too am in the exact same position as you. I have amassed a lot of data on this boat.
I invite you to visit:

Home / Buying a Boat / Boat Check here
at sailnet.com and type in MacGregor 26
Read what EVERYONE has to say:

Joint the list servers here as well
Members Center/ Join Email list’s, there are two listed for MacGregor.

Visit BOATUS.COM
Home/Boat Buying/ Free Value Check
Enter MacGregor 26
This is for Boat US members only, contact me directly if you’re not and I’ll fwd the report to you

Better Business Bureau
http://www.bbb.org/
and enter MacGregor Yacht Corporation

I also had a chance to demo sail her at South Shore Marina.

And though I’m not a “Sailors” Sailor, I own a 16’ Oday OSPRAY and have crewed on
21’ swing centerboard (been a while, forgotten which make), 27’ Catalina, and a 33’ 1964 SwiftSure.

From what I learned:

Due to the uniqueness of her design, she is in a class by herself. We can all agree she is a compromise w/respect to sail and powerboat.

They have had design improvements over the past 6 years based on customer complaints.

It appears 75-80% of the owners are quite satisfied with them.

Testimonies of owners who sailed from Florida to Bermuda, would one consider that more than
Coastal cruising?

My decision:

I live off of Moriches Bay, which is on the south shore, East end of Long Island. Lots of shallow water in the bays with the Atlantic on the other side of the Moriches Inlet (power through the inlet is nice). I can power along through canals to Peconic Bay (between the forks) and beyond to New England. Or go west to New York city and the Hudson Valley. I can also trailer to the North Shore (20 min ride) to Long Island Sound (rich in sailing and gunkholes). Her dual ability is perfect here.

As for her accommodation’s, seems perfect for my family of four. Since my wife hates the water, even better for me!!

A NEW boat, at a price I can afford.

Low maintenance, a plus for those of us who live in an age where we work more than our parents did.

Again, she has her own weakness’, know them and turn them into asset’s

Based on the numerous owner’s comments, I feel I will enjoy her as well.

Within a month or so the fun of wheeling and dealing will start!

Let me know how you make out.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook