SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Outboard Question

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cb32863 
#1 ·
Anyone familiar with mid 90's Yamaha 9.9HP outboards? Anything "interesting" about them? Having difficulty finding any info.

Thanks.

#2 ·
The four strokes rot out inside the legs and under the powerhead. Not much anyone can do to fix them once the exhaust has rotted through.

Great reverse thrust and great reliability other than the corrosion thing inside.

I owned two in those days, the dealer was the one managing retiring the outboards before they failed, it was a common maintenance issue for motors permanently in use.

#6 ·
As per what Tommays is thinking, and I forgot to mention :eek: , it will be used up here in MN and we have nothing but fresh water up here. Some of it dang cold... anyway, if I end up with the motor, more importantly I guess is the boat it is attached too, I will be checking the forum MikeHoyt put up I am sure.

Appreciate all the information and help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.