SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

Without going back a few pages. The Salona 38 is your current choice of boat for you is it not? well any way, Bob Perry does a review of that boat in the Oct issue of Sailing. sailingmagazine.net I doubt it will be online until oct 1 or a bit after. I got in via subscription the other day.

Marty
Well Marty what about that review? It cannot be that long because he made the review of the Salona 37 (that has practically the same hull) and besides describing the boat he had said not much:

"The trick with any new production model is to design it so that it appeals to the widest segment of the market. Ideally, this means the line between racer and cruiser becomes blurred and the accommodation plan includes enough options so that the boat’s interior will be suitable and adaptable to the biggest number of potential buyers. In short, the designer has to eliminate the “if onlys” at the design stage. This new Salona 37 was designed by J&J Design to meet such criteria.

The heart of this design is that there are four layouts available....In any of the configurations, it’s a lot of interior for a 37-foot boat.

....With its variety of interior options, all-around good looks and clearly well-thought-out deck arrangement I think this boat would make a versatile cruiser."

Salona 37

Besides a description of the boat this is what Perry says about the boat design and it would be difficult to say more without even looking at the boat, not to mention sailing it. However he doesn't refer, in what regards construction, the stainless steel grid to distribute the keel and shrouds forces by all the hull and also the boat being built with a vacuum injection system with epoxy derived resins, both important items in what regards solidity and weight.

When I said that probably I would not agree with him in what regards concepts, taking into account he is a great NA but a bit conservative for my tastes, I was referring to things as beam.

He says that this boat is beamy, with a L/B of 3.13. He is not saying that it is good or bad, just stating it.

What we consider beamy is a relative concept. For example if we take as standard the beam of a sailboat built in the 30's, all boats from the 60's are beamy. If we take as standard the beam of a sailboat from the 60's, all modern boats are beamy.

In my opinion when someone says referring to a new boat that the boat is beamy it makes no sense referring as standard the beam of the sailboats of another era, but today's sailing boats.

If we look at the Salona 37 beam taking has reference today designs, the boat cannot be called beamy, on the contrary, it has less beam than the average of modern sailboats of that size. Take a look:

The Salona 37 beam is:3.60m

Some other boats : Xp38 -3.70; Elan 37 - 3.65; Benetau 37 - 3.91; Hanse 375 -3.76 Jeanneau 379 - 3.76; Dufour 375 - 3.85; Pogo 10.50 (35ft) - 3.90; RM 1060 (36ft) -3.99; First 35 - 3.64; Arcona 370 - 3.60; Bavaria 36 - 3.92.

Sure, we can find less beamier boats on the market like the Luffe 37 but they are clearly a very small minority and would to have to be called by today parameters narrow boats.

I don't think that the Salona 37 (or the 38) should be described as beamy. I would have described it as having a moderate beam

Regarding all the rest I agree with Bob Perry. Off course the 38 has almost the same hull but has an much better cockpit, a better interior and more storage space on the cockpit. It is also a better looking boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 09-22-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook