SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don Casey: Paint Waterline Stripe with Bottom Paint
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
In a moment of new boat owner confusion, the previous owner of a boat I owned painted bottom paint up to the BOOT Stripe. Yup, gritty blue paint all the way to the rubrail.

My Bristol 27 squats down in the back too. Would probably be worth trying to get it to sit on it's lines. Still, I like that idea.
I believe you meant COVE stripe - the boot stripe is the coloured line above the bottom paint at the waterline.

My preference is to have the boot stripe several inches above the actual, static waterline and to bring the bottom paint up to the underside of it. Colour choice for the bottom paint becomes a bit more significant than if it's kept below the real waterline since it shows more but with careful choice it can look very good.

The actual extra height is dependent on the size of boat of course. I brought it up 2" on my 26' Quarter Tonner but I've seen it approaching 6" on a 42' boat. It also seems to look better if one has a wide or elaborate boot stripe - several stripes, stripes varying thick to thin etc.

It also serves to visually lower very high topsides.

If you have no other choice - gel coat boot top right at the waterline for example, then overpainting it with bottom paint would work but it would look a LOT better to repaint the boot top higher with gloss paint and then do the bottom as I have described. That line is second only to the sheerline in importance to a boats looks.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 09-23-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook