SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raising the sails without the motor
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
if you hoist before shutting down the motor and the sail does not hoist and you cannot sail with some control you may need to restart the motor but what if it dies not restart. if you douse and then try to start the motor what if it does not start. I always leave the engine running untill the sails are set and I am sailing in control of the situation. I always start the engine before dousing to be able to maintain control of the situation.
Whilst that may be great for you - it doesn't work if you don't have an engine to leave running..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Have you guys ever tried hoisting and dousing sails without the motor?
If so how do you do it?
David,

Raising sails: Your plan is as good as any I've come across and, yes, the key is to be able to get the sails up and down without too much struggle. Certainly the only way to do it is pointing into the wind. Some boats (like mine!) will allow you to do the following:

1. Unfurl the genny, get some way up on a close reach.
2. Heave to (ie. tack without touching the sheet, helm down)
3. Hoist the main
4. When ready, tack the headsail and sail off into the sunset...

Lowering sails: Same as coming into the dock under sail.
1. Drop one sail whilst sailing close to the wind on the other.
2. Get the other one ready to drop (lines clear, etc.)
3. Drop the other sail in a rush when needed.

It's valuable experience and worth practising!