SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

wallas or wabasco?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Stu Jackson 
#1 ·
I have a 110 heat pump 15k btu. Great at dock. Im going to add diesel force
d air and connect to existing ducts. I like the specs on these systems. Anyone have experience good or bad. Thanks.

#2 ·
I been on several boats with Webasto systems, both forced air and hot water. Not problems with either system.

#5 ·
I can't say from experience or technical knowledge which is quieter. Our Espar makes some noise, and there are two main components to it: The fan and the fuel pump. The combustion chamber and fan sound like a little jet engine, but you have to strain to hear it. The fuel pump is a deep tick-tick. It is noticeable when the system is on low and I'm working on quieting it down a bit. It doesn't bother me at all, but does irritate my de-facto spouse sometimes. That said, all the systems will have a fuel pump of this nature. There is flow noise through the ducting and out of the registers, but I'd imagine this to be pretty close across all the brands, for the same duct size and CFM.

As far as the design goes, the design parameter that I've noticed is that the Espar, as mitiempo notes, was originally designed for buses and trucks that have an alternator running, so they like 14.1V. I don't know about the others.

That said, if it was originally designed or redesigned isn't really as important as if however it was designed takes into account the marine environment, intended service, and customer needs. I've seen plenty of originally designed for the marine environment equipment that was most suited as artificial reef material.

#6 · (Edited)
I have helped install a Wallas in a Corbin 39 and was impressed with the low noise in general and the fuel pump wasn't audible. Some are installing them behind main cabin settees as that way the forward cabin area is not as far from the main unit. They are quiet enough that this isn't a problem. They have exhaust/intake fittings that are designed to be deck mounted if that is needed and they can be closed off with a twist and are waterproof when closed. Their power consumption is low - the 30D uses .8 to 1.8 amps @ 12 volts.
http://www.wallas.ca/www.wallas.ca/Marine_Heating_&_Cooking.html

I have also been to an all day installation seminar given by the Wallas factory engineer. During the seminar a Wallas was running full time and couldn't be heard unless you were right beside it.

Other than that I have no connection to Wallas but if I was to purchase a diesel heater it would be a Wallas.

#7 ·
We had a Wallas forced air on our C36. Very quiet, and didn't heat the boat up terribly well. We installed a Wabasto forced air in our C400. Yeah, it is louder, but it also actually heats the boat up.

YMMV of course.

#8 ·
I had an older webasto. Best thing I ever did was replace it! Search the net and you will see lots of problems with webasto and espar using marine diesel. Maintenance on the model i had was a major pain. The newer models may be better, but I switched to an ITR Hurricane (hot water type) and i'm very happy with it. I don't know the Wallas, have to see other's opinions for that.

#9 ·
Hydronic can be a good choice. Can also heat water for domestic use. Hoses are easier to run than large air vents but on the flipside you need 12 volts at each outlet - really a bus heater.

dhays

Maybe the Wallas unit you had was too small for your boat? Wallas does know cold - made in Finland and very popular there.

#10 ·
We installed a Wallas 40D a couple of years ago in our 40' PH. It has run extensively since that time with no issues. We did the install ourselves with great support from Scan Marine. We used the heater during a nasty winter storm when the shore power was out for five days, the temperature was in the low teens at night and the wind was blowing a steady 35 knots and the boat stayed in the 60'sF. Very happy with it, and the power draw is quite low (and so is the fuel use).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.