SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?

In a moment of weakness last night I purchased a "sight unseen" Seafarer 24 swing keel on Ebay.

I've never seen one, and don't like swing keels. But it was only 50 miles away and cheap. Also, I've looked at a lot of boats recently, Ericsons and the one Seafarer (fixed keel) I saw really stood out.

Question 1: Anyone familiar with what the pivot pin is made of? That's my biggest concern. If it turns out to be a stainless bolt, is there some special stainless marine alloy I should acquire? Or just buy the best available at the hardware store.

Any other pivot info would be appreciated (trunks, leaks, strengths, weaknesses).

Question 2: Has anyone sailed on one of these boats? I expect to work on it for a year or so and will tailor my efforts to the expected quality of sailing, i.e., more effort if it's a good performer, cheaper way out if it's a dog. I'll be sailing the coast and bays of Maine. Maybe some of the larger lakes, I'm on a small lake and near Sebago Lake.

I'm thinking with the narrow (less than 8' in the charts) beam and the swing keel I could trailer it anywhere, but again, I don't want to get a real nice trailer if the boat doesn't point fairly well and sail at least OK.

My truck can easily tow the weight of two or three of this size boat on a trailer, so that's not an issue.

Thank you to anyone who chimes in, good or bad!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook