SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKDexterHaven View Post
Full results from the 2011 Big Boat Series:
Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program

You’ll see that the conditions really favored the J/125; they took the top four spots in their division. I think Double Trouble had the best crew, which is one thing that comes out of this interview with the owner/skipper:

J/News Articles: J/125 Double Trouble- Andy Costello Interview

They beat a brand new Farr 400. The Farr proponents will point to its newness and lack of familiarity on the part of her crew as reasons for less than optimal results. Interesting that a design over a decade old can still work well, given the right conditions. From the above interview it sounds like the Farr was faster upwind but incapable of matching the J’s downwind speeds.

Thanks. Great racing from the Costello team and great results for an old boat, but if you look at the real times you will see that even if Costello beat sometimes the Farr, most of the times the Farr 400 was faster.

And then you had only 1 Farr 400 and four j125 and I suspect that the Farr team was not that good compared with the best J125 or has not yet the boat fully exploited.

Pity you had not there several Farr 400 and Ker 40 to just see how good is the J 125 or how bad is the Farr 400. I confess my surprise for the j125 results face to what is considered the absolute weapon.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 09-24-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook