SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ablative bottom paint to VC-17
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011

Tweegs is on a distinguished road
Ablative bottom paint to VC-17

We had no intention of racing when we launched the boat this past spring, so we took a putty knife to any of the loose bottom paint, feathered it out, and applied two coats of a single season ablative.

We enjoyed racing enough that we plan to do it again next year. In an effort to get the bottom cleaned up and slick again, the whole crew has volunteered to help remove all of the ablative paint, smooth out, and prep the bottom for VC-17.

Despite my warnings of the huge undertaking, that this isnít going to be a weekend project, itís going to take several weekendsÖin the cold of winterÖto get it done, they all seem more than enthusiastic (Ďtil the weather hits, methinks).

Reality dictates that Iíll have these knuckleheads actually helping for two weekends, three at best, between the boat coming out of the water and the snow hitting. In that time, Iíd like to at least get the old bottom paint off. The rest can wait until spring.

We didnít find any blisters last year, we didnít run aground or bash into anything, and we made sure we had good prep work and paint before launching in the spring, so hopefully we wonít find anything wrong when she comes out this year.

I donít want to damage anything under there, but at the same time I calculate that Iíve got about 6 working days and 6 people to get the bottom paint removed from a 40 footer.

Iím taking any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook