SailNet Community - View Single Post - Working while living aboard
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
My current boat (C&C 30 MK1- insert shameless plug here- good condition- great price) is for sale. I've been doing lots of boat shopping. Contemplating renting my house and giving it a go here in New England. brrrr.

My problem is that I must wear a suit and there is no way around it. The only solution I can think of is to keep my suits hanging in my vehicle. There is no boat in my price/size range that offers that kind of hanging space. Thankfully, the rest of my wardrobe consists of a couple pair of Levi's, shorts, sweaters and T-shirts.

The good news is that my employer has an on site gym w/ nice showers. I could work out every morning and take a shower there
Our first yacht was a small 30' so I can fully understand your situation. We now have a larger yacht where we dont have to compromise anywhere near as much - however, will always need to decide on what to compromise when living on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherBowman View Post
I've never lived aboard full time, but every time work sends me on a road trip, I look for the nearest body of water. Is it close enough to commute? If so, the boat goes on the trailer, and I spent a week or so camping aboard and commuting to work.

It was fun, but I did have some difficulty managing my wardrobe. In my line of work I need to "look professional," and comfortable sailing clothes just don't.
You are either cruising and your work gear is stashed away (vacu-bagged perhaps) or you are working and the work gear is hanging up awaiting ironing!

I prefer cotton shirts and trousers, have to get past the scrutiny of the boss each morning as well. People are understanding of their staff's situation - if not, move on - you are on a boat so just go to the next town! I have done this.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...P9180064-1.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook