SailNet Community - View Single Post - Working while living aboard
View Single Post
post #27 of Old 09-25-2011
St Anna
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
My current boat (C&C 30 MK1- insert shameless plug here- good condition- great price) is for sale. I've been doing lots of boat shopping. Contemplating renting my house and giving it a go here in New England. brrrr.

My problem is that I must wear a suit and there is no way around it. The only solution I can think of is to keep my suits hanging in my vehicle. There is no boat in my price/size range that offers that kind of hanging space. Thankfully, the rest of my wardrobe consists of a couple pair of Levi's, shorts, sweaters and T-shirts.

The good news is that my employer has an on site gym w/ nice showers. I could work out every morning and take a shower there
Our first yacht was a small 30' so I can fully understand your situation. We now have a larger yacht where we dont have to compromise anywhere near as much - however, will always need to decide on what to compromise when living on board.

Originally Posted by ArcherBowman View Post
I've never lived aboard full time, but every time work sends me on a road trip, I look for the nearest body of water. Is it close enough to commute? If so, the boat goes on the trailer, and I spent a week or so camping aboard and commuting to work.

It was fun, but I did have some difficulty managing my wardrobe. In my line of work I need to "look professional," and comfortable sailing clothes just don't.
You are either cruising and your work gear is stashed away (vacu-bagged perhaps) or you are working and the work gear is hanging up awaiting ironing!

I prefer cotton shirts and trousers, have to get past the scrutiny of the boss each morning as well. People are understanding of their staff's situation - if not, move on - you are on a boat so just go to the next town! I have done this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome