SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raising the sails without the motor
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Sounds easy but you left out the part where you got away from the dock. How did you get from the dock to open water where you have space to unfurl and sail off into the sunset. How do you do this from a windward facing side tie in 15 kts breeze.
OB, I'm not sure which part of the whole procedure isn't clear to you. Yachts were around long before auxilliary engines were invented.

Adam has already answered the bit about finding yourself on the windward side of the dock. For the rest, it's simply choose the correct sail to hoist, hoist only one of them to start with, let go and sail off..

'tis quite easy once you get the hang of it - although some docks are better positioned than others. If you really must sail without an engine on a regular basis, I'd suggest picking up and leaving from a mooring rather than a dock.