SailNet Community - View Single Post - Differences between bottom paints
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011

Solarisphere is on a distinguished road
Differences between bottom paints

Wow, I've been lurking for a while but I think this is my first post.

I'm restoring my dad's old 26' Thunderbird that has been sitting on blocks for the last 20 years, and it needs bottom paint (in addition to many other things). I've been reading up on it for a while now but my understanding of the different brands and their various products is still a little hazy.

So here's what I've got so far:

Pettit makes 3 multi-season ablatives: Horizons, Ultima SR-40, and Ultima SR-60. The Ultima 40 and 60 are identical except for the copper content. Both contain Irgarol (Pettits anti-slime additive) while Horizons doesn't. Ultima SR-40 has 40% copper, SR-60 has 60%, and Horizons has 47.5%.

Interlux makes Bottomkote XXX, MicronCSC, Micron Extra, and Micron 66. Micron 66 is out of the question as it's apparently hard to apply yourself. Are MicronCSC and Micron Extra the same paint, but with anti-slime additives in the Extra? And where does the bottomkote come in? Is it just another ablative? Does it work as well as the Micron?

It seems like none of the marine stores or even the local distributor sell Micron Extra or Ultima SR-40/60. Is that because we don't get slime in this area? The boat will be moored in Victoria, just northwest of Puget Sound.

I've also read that the Micron doesn't begin to ablate until you reach 6-7 knots while the Pettit paints start at 2-3 knots. Does this mean the Pettit paints are better for sailboats that won't regularly be reaching 6 knots? Or does the Micron work well if you sail often enough?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook