SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has anyone painted their hull in the water?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Has anyone painted their hull in the water?

Obviously, I'm talking above the water line! I know of two guys who do it and achieve spectacular results. They work off the dock and a sit on kayak. The difference is.... they know what they are doing, and I've never used two part Polyurethane before! I just painted my top sides and now the hull screams out - "Paint me, Paint me!". I have some time off, and we have some good weather approaching. In addition, I have so many "to do's" on my next haul out, I don't want to spend the lay days painting the hull.
I'm tempted to just paint down to the Boot stripe, as it's in good condition and everything above it is more accessible. However, Don Casey recommends removing, and repainting the boot stripe. I assume this is because the Polyurethane will wick underneath any masking tape that is applied to protect the stripe? He also recommends "scoring" the boot stripe before removing it, to retain the line. What would you use to score it, a utility knife?
I know it sounds bold, but I'm handier than the average "yacht" owner. I don't expect "spectacular" results on my first attempt, but a nice clean hull would be be great. On the other hand, I certainly don't need a nightmare!
Thoughts?

Last edited by L124C; 09-26-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook