SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seafarer 24 swing keel, keel pivot? Sailing qualities?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on the S24 purchase

Skygazer,

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality and performance of the Seafarer 24. The boat and manufacturer has quite a history. She was built in Huntington, NY and was designed by Philip Rhodes & James McCurdy.

Sailboat Designs of *McCurdy & Rhodes

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Stainless Steel pin for the swing keel. It is (if it's the same as the Seafarer 29) permanently embedded in the fiberglass trunk. I'm not aware of any issues with the pin. The keel cable is another matter. If it is stainless steel I highly advise replacing it with a synthetic line like Kevlar. Stainless steel cable will deteriorate in salt water within a matter of weeks. The last thing you want is a weighted keel crashing down when the cable breaks. There are documented occurrences of this happening and severe damage to the fiberglass hull, loss of the keel completely, and near sinking has resulted.

I also have a swing keel (Seafarer 29) and I do not raise the keel unless I've hit bottom or grounding is eminent. As soon as I have sufficient water under the keel, it goes back down. I switched to a Kevlar cable and it's been on my boat for 10 years, and I'm in salt water.

There is some information on the S24 available at SailboatData.com.

SEAFARER 24 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

I also suggest joining two online resources for Seafarer owners.

Sailnet Seafarer Forum

Seafarer - SailNet Community

Seafarer Yacht Group on Facebook.

You may also find some helpful information at the Seafarer Research Center. Unfortunately, the owner hasn't updated the web site in some time, but there is still a lot of good info available.

Seafarer Research Center

I hope this is helpful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook