SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has anyone painted their hull in the water?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Haul it, and I have my reasons...

I've painted a number of hulls (4) and decks (5). I did 2 of the deck on the water, and it wan' great, wasn't bad. But hulls are different.
* 80% of the work is prep, and you can't prep on the water. How do you keep the dust out of the water (even with a vacuum)? How do you eliminate the risk of electrocuting yourself (it's been done by professional sailors).
* Painting a modest size hull, not counting prep is only a few hours work. The TIME goes into prep. Remember, you have to keep a wet edge on the job, so you work quickly. I can work more quickly and accuratly when my feet are on solid ground.
* I'm sure you have a long list, but the fill-in task principle still applies. Do other jobs in the morning (can't paint with dew). You can't paint in the sun (dries too fast), you really should follow the shadows when possible. So work on other (non-sanding) things while you wait. Additionally, sanding and prep are good fill-ins while you are puzzeling through some other task in your head. They are also a traditional way to put helpers to work; scratch sanding is straight forward.

I would do some minor deck work on the water, or perhaps some minor hull thing, but not a full paint job. Not if I was hauling anyway.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook