SailNet Community - View Single Post - Differences between bottom paints
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011

DrB will become famous soon enough
Answers

Quote:
Micron 66 is out of the question as it's apparently hard to apply yourself.
- This is not correct. This stuff applies like any other bottom paint. I have put it on my boat for several season. I also have found it to be the best out there fore slime, growth, and general bottom cleanliness, albeit, I haven't tried many paints.

Quote:
I've also read that the Micron doesn't begin to ablate until you reach 6-7 knots while the Pettit paints start at 2-3 knots. Does this mean the Pettit paints are better for sailboats that won't regularly be reaching 6 knots? Or does the Micron work well if you sail often enough?
Some micron paints require 6-7 knots to ablate, but not Micron 66. Also, if you sail your boat enough, the Ablate Speed should be a non factor.

I tried a Petit Single Season paint last year and it was poor compared to Micron 66. I painted half of the hull with the Micron 66 and the other half with the Petit. The boat was hauled for a day in September (after being launched in early May) and the difference in growth on it was night and day. The Micron had little growth, while the Petit side had growth and slime.

For any bottom paint, if it doesn't have anti-slime, you can always add it. Some companies make anti-slime additives.

DrB