SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1973 Venture 2-22
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
I had a 76 Mac 2-22 until a couple of years ago. The keel winch is a stock item. Check Northern tool or Harbor freight. Make sure you get the self braking model, I think about $75.00. Check Idasailor for the rudder. IMHO, the biggest issue with Macgregors is that the foils are not well shaped. My original teak (?) rudder rotted and broke. I replaced it with a blade from Idasailor, and it made a huge difference. If you can, fair the swing keel. I never did mine, but I think it will make a big difference. Blue Water Yachts sells parts for older Macgregors, and I got a lot of kits from Catalina direct, which were designed for Catalina 22s, but fit easily with minor adjustments. Other being a satisfied customer, I have no relationship with any of those folks, but they helped me a lot with my boat. Good luck, and sail a lot. I had my 2-22 for 10 years, and found the best "upgrade" was more time sailing, you learn a lot, and have fun!
Lou
Mariner 28
Fair Haven, NJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook