SailNet Community - View Single Post - Differences between bottom paints
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
I just want to add...

If you plan to haul your boat every year, multi season might be a waste of your $$.

After a decade of experimentation; If I put on multi season it is because I plan to store my boat in the water for the winter and have had no problems as long as I get the bottom cleaned in the fall. Might need a scrub by spring time, but not so much it can't wait till the water warms up.

Using multi season for one season has resulted in less work in the spring as the boat comes out looking like it was just painted (after a power wash). When launching in the spring I used to put on one coat, but, the build up was too much and I ended up doing a lot of sanding after 3-4 years.

I can get three seasons (not three years) out of two gallons of Micron Extra as long as I get the bottom cleaned 1-2 times per season. (30 ft, fin keel). i.e.; Paint, spring launch, season 1, wet winter, season 2, wet winter, season 3, fall dry storage.
Paint = two full coats, third coat on rudder/water line/leading edge of keel/bow till I run out of paint.

Best advise I can give is to change colors every time you paint so you can tell what's going on. Some seasons will be worse than others for growth so your results may vary year to year. Also, if you spend money on better paint and bottom cleaning you will do less work when you have paint.

YMMV
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook