SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Guy Intro
Thread: New Guy Intro
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
New Guy Intro

Hi, Squidd here , Randy... Captain Randy to my friends...(well if I had friends that is what I would have them call me)...

Caught the sailing bug again... 20 years ago I had a Sunfish type boat sailed it many a weekend...This year I bought a McGregor Venture Cat (15') and thought I'd love it, but I'm getting a little too old (fat) and settled in my ways for a "wet boat"...

Took the wife out to the Apostle isles for a day charter on a 34'er and really fell in love...but I'm not rich enough for purchase and boat slips, launch fees and hard space and living indoors and eating regularly so some sort of compromise has to be made...

So...I'm thinking a trailer sailer... prefer something in the 25'-26' range as the 22's and 23's seem a little spartan for me for overnighters or 4 people trips...

My question is (and I may reask down in the trailer sailer section) is do I want the convenience and launchabilty of a Swing Keel boat... or are the fixed keel or full keel boats really all that "trailerable...?

Most of my launching will be at Great Lakes docks so depth shouldn't be a problem, I'm just wondering how much "stability" I'll give up with a Swing Keel compared to possible lift expence and trailability issues with a fixed...?

I'm sure there are many thoughts on each...

I should mention I plan on taking a ASA keelboat class come spring and possibly moving up to BB charter certification as well..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook