SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
What is the best way to handle a big wake coming your way? A few weeks back, I was motoring up the channel, at 5.5 Kts, hugging the right side to let the faster traffic pass. There was a large 45+ ft trawler following me. Up ahead, a fast ferry pulled out of its slip, and headed toward me. I started edging toward the center of the channel, to avoid the wakes tossing me out of the channel. Well the trawler decides to pass, throwing a 2 foot “breaking” wake, and squeezing between me and the fast ferry. I yelled HOLD ON to my crew. The trawler’s wake was about parallel to me, or I to it, and rolled us real good. We then hit the ferry wake which pitched us real good, then the stern wave from the trawler. When we were in the trough between the bow and stern waves, I worried about tripping over. We all grabbed for our life jackets for the balance of the trip. Other than NOT hugging the right side, and not getting parallel to the passing trawler’s wake, what is the best way to handle this? I know I made it worse by turning left to get away from the channel edge, but I had to do that or be pushed aground. The boat is a Mariner 28, about 8,000 lbs displacement. There will always be jerks out there, but what is the best way to handle the result? Truly appreciate the wisdom on this board.
Lou
Lillia
Fair Haven, NJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook