SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone know Flying Fish?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-26-2011 Thread Starter
Joesaila
1977 Morgan OI 30

Anyone know Flying Fish?

We did our yearly visit to Nantucket in August during race week and enjoyed all the really nice boats. But a highlight of the trip was just barely a glimpse of a really nice boat with a nice couple on board.... I was doing the final part of the trip back to Hingham, Ma. and overnighted in Onset. I went by a beauty of a sailboat with Maine reg. nos. on the way in and anchored nearby. Around sunset two people were coming back with a pizza in thier dinghy. I asked what kind of sail boat it was and the woman remarked it was a Giles Vertue, named "Flying Fish"....and that her husband had built it himself. It was 25feet long and I inquired if they'd sailed it down from Maine.....the lady said 'actually, we just got back from Europe'! They'd sailed over and back! I was speechless but got to speak to them when heading by the next morning....I asked if they'd seen any beautifle night skies and the gentleman remarked how they'd seen some pretty dark nights! I asked if they were going to write a book and the lady said they'd not really thought about that, but that it was now time to get back to reality and the working world....I wished I'd had the chance to ask a hundred other questions. Well here are a couple of pictures of Flying Fish, sorry about the botched focus....I did a search and found that an article was in one of Wooden Boat mag. around April....Hope someone does a follow up. Hope they do a book! man I'd love to hear "The Rest Of The Story!"
Photobucket
Photobucket

My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.
Cary Grant
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome