SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is the Columbia 45 Motorsailer Ocean Worthy?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011
Schedule? Yeh RIGHT!

LookoutNW is on a distinguished road
Give me a hollar. I have one in Olympia and have modified it alot for cruising. Mine was actually a Sailcrafter and had a lot of mods done that columbia didn't do. The man who built mine and a few others took his offshore to Haweaii and back. Freeboard on any boat is an issue offshore. Wind hits ait and waves smash it. But high flush decks don't swamp the cockpit, and flood below decks either. Large windows covered in 3/8 + lexan or 1/2 ply, removeable when coastal is an option. I am going with the Lexan. Being that I spent time as a lad doing deliveries on the east coast US, I have added much interior cabinet and such to the vast amount of open areas. Offshore you will fall a long ways unless you have something to stop you. You hope that what stops you will not Kill, maim, or break you. Think accordingly. My list goes on and on. As with any boat there wil always be shortcomings. Knowing these and adapting for a better outcome, i.e. being prepared, is key. You can come on down and see mine if you want. Swantown, Oly F37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook