SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like radio may be the best bet. The fact is, I didn't have much time. I looked back, and it seemed he would stay put. I looked forward watching the on coming Ferry. My daughter, an experienced sailor, she is head instructor of our youth program, yelled "it's breaking!" and I looked back to see him squeezing between me and the ferry, and indeed his wake was curling. I had started turning into the oncoming Ferry wake, and his wake hit me broadside. Barely enough time to yell "Grab life jackets and HANG ON!" He apparently ran aground , as he called for a tow boat 10 minutes later. He gave his position wrong, and the tow boat came boiling past and did push me out of the channel. That made me start rethinking the hug the right side thing. I may have given the impression it was OK to pass by doing that. Next time, I'll be more toward the center of the channel, and try to block him until its safe for me. I was planning on calling the Marine police when we tied up, but the grounding made me figure the Big Guy was on it! This was just before the Atlantic Highlands Bridge southbound on the Shrewsbury river in NJ. It had been a peaceful Sunday, and I guess I let my guard down!
Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook