SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has anyone painted their hull in the water?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Omg... I just did my hull, and after what I went through to get it to look right (my version of right) I couldn't even fathom trying it in the water. don't do it! Also, fwiw - you can get excellent results from good old single stage brightside:
The key is a flat surface to paint on, seriously thinned paint (25% maybe?) and a WET EDGE ALWAYS. Don't paint in the water... don't do it..
Casey's rational for using two part on the hull is durability, and the fact that a hull is easier to use it on with it's lack of obstacles (port lights, hardware, etc.). He also says to eliminate any mistakes with the second coat (with the added experience of the first coat), or a third if necessary. He says, leave it at three, "you aren't going to get any better". Directions for most of the single part topside paints I have seen say not to exceed thinning by 5%. After a certain point, you have seriously affected the characteristics of the paint. I wonder if part of your problem was unfavorable painting conditions (temp, humidity, direct sun, etc.). Hull looks great now though! No Bootstripe? There's a thought! I even like the simplicity and look of not doing the cove stripe. Without a ton of freeboard, that might be the way to go. Hmmmmm!

Last edited by L124C; 09-27-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook