SailNet Community - View Single Post - Motoring to sailing ratio vs performance.......
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I have always felt that power boats go places and sailboats go sailing. You can go places with sailboats but you just need more time. Time is short now days, and motoring might make a difference of whether you get to use the boat or not.

Wife and I were in San Francisco at pier 39 on Sunday looking at a boat. Didn't like the boat but we had lunch at the end of the pier with a panoramic view of the bay. Winds over 20 in on a typical summer day and lots of boats. We were paying attention to the set of sails and how well the boats handled. Some were really pounding to weather and others running nicely past the city front. One boat was pounding to weather under just a reefed main. As he came closer I realized he was motoring. It bugged me a bit, but he was probably trying to make the gate before the tide went against him.

We enjoy sailing but don't race, so finding a boat that performs well but isn't set up as a racer is important to us. I start thinking about starting the engine at 3 knots, but it depends on whether I need to be somewhere or not.

Boating is all about enjoying yourself, and if that means using the engine to enhance that use then that's great. but if time is not an issue we are very comfortable just drifting about on the water, being out there is the whole point anyway.

Now if I can just find that next boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook