SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone know Flying Fish?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
No she was/is not--she was/is a "one off" designed by Jack Giles in 1952. My point was that Wanderer and Giles' earlier, smaller, Vertue Class yachts were of the same era (wooden ships/iron men & women) and while the Hiscocks are reasonably well known and so make a convenient point of reference, had I referred to Humphrey Barton and Kevin O'Riordan, few save a couple of old folks would have understood. The original Vertue was designed in roughly 1946-7 as a 25' Gaffer. Barton/O'Riordan earned fame for the class with their 1950 transAt in Vertue XXXV, the 35th boat of the class, tho' she was/is fitted with a Bermudian rig rather than Gaff.

FWIW...
svHyLyte, I wasn't having a go at you - simply making a clear distinction between the boat and the designer. Jack Giles incorporated so many aspects of the Vertue's design in "Wanderer III" that some people find it hard to tell the difference - and think it's just a scaled-up Vertue. Just to confuse things further, Giles' "Wanderer" class isn't an exact copy of the Hiscock's "Wanderer III" either - although at least they're the same length.

There was much changing in yacht design in that era and I'm still amazed that in the decades that have passed, no other designer has developed a better, more seaworthy, small cruising yacht than the Vertue.