SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter 23 questions - homemade rudder
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Hunter 23 questions - homemade rudder

At 40-ish, my wife and I are considering our first boat. I have been lurking on this forum for a month or so and now making my virgin post! We found a 1988 Hunter 23 about an hour from here that has been nicely refurbished: refinished keel, teak, and very clean. From what I have read about these boats, they are fun to sail, fairly fast for a monohull, and pretty solid boats. I have not found a particularly bad review of them, other than the general anti-Hunter statements.

I like the boat, but have a couple of reservations that I would like to get your opinion on. There is no motor, so I will consider this in the price. Another concern that has grown in my mind is that the former owner replaced the (probably split) rudder with a home-fabricated one made out of Corian. Yes, Corian, the stuff that is more at home in kitchens. They redesigned the rudder assembly so that it pivots to swivel up in case of impact. It replaces the tie-down rig that is stock on the H23. It seems like it could take some heavy abuse, but it does not seem very hydrodynamic. It is beveled on the edges, but the original rudders look more like hydrofoils while this one looks, well, like a heavy board (see pic).

The boat is on the trailer, disassembled, and away from water, so I don't have any idea how this will affect sailing. Do you think this is enough of an issue that I should consider this in what I offer for the boat? Replacement rudders are between $500-$900.

Thanks for any input on this boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1219.jpg (31.3 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook