SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter 23 questions - homemade rudder
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
For the record, I bought a Capri 22, fixed wing keel, trailer, running 6hp motor, and none of these mods (and roller furling, and spinnaker, mainsail boot, and race options) for $4800 in June.

I have seen tons of the Hunter 23s in and around my area for between $3000 and $5000 with a trailer. They are good boats, and sail well (I am not anti-hunter), but it sounds like the guy might be about $1500 or so high (at best).

Look at EVERYTHING. Tires? bearings (are they bearing buddies?) Trailer lights? Brakes on the trailer? Like others said, sails (those are the most expensive thing save the motor). Running rigging (are all the lines chafed? or mold/mildew?). Look at the chainplates (are they rusted? twisted? missing UGH)... Shrouds, look for ginks, and twists, and frays. Turnbuckles on shrouds.. look for bends, and stripped threads.

I think I got the hot points. Quote the guy the price for a used 6hp motor ($600), and a new rudder ($500)... and lower the boat's offer accordingly. Then follow up with deductions for anything else on the above list that is wrong (and will cost you money to replace). Rather, deduct these monies from KBB or NADA value of the boat.

I have to say, I knew what I purchased with my boat... it needs work. Lines, standing rigging, and bottom paint. The motor was unknown (no way to test). when I bought it it ran great... after 2 weeks use, nothing. Carb rebuild and various other work ($300 later)... viola' working again. With that said, it was still sailed all summer by me... so technically it is "sail away." I am just picky how I want it to be going forward.

Anyway sounds like we all say look at it, but keep in mind a replacement (rudder) might be in line.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 09-28-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook