SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rough couple of days almost didn't make it
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Rough couple of days almost didn't make it

I figured I would go sailing yesterday about 4PM. It was a little foggy but decent wind. It was definitely foggy but it looked like the visibility was enough to be safe.

I got to the entrance buoy and since I know the distances to close by landmarks I noticed that the visibility was really less than 2/10th of mile. I came back in.

Today it was supposed to be 20 knots so I figured I would give it a try. I get out to the entrance buoy and find it was 20 knots plus, often 25 knots. It was looking more and more like rain and I was by myself so I didn’t figure I didn't want to work that hard so I headed in again.
The wind was strong enough for the Catalina 25 with a 9.9 HP motor that I could not steer the bow through the wind with the motor and tiller alone.

The current was running out probably at least 2 knots.
The prop was popping out of the water due to the chop. The 20-25 knots was at right angles to the channel.
I had to point the boat about 30 degrees up wind to stay in the channel which meant that a significant vector of propulsion was not moving me down the channel.

All of the forces combined slowed me down so it took probably 15 to 20 minutes to clear the channel that was only 2/10 of mile. Very slow I almost didn’t make it.

If I figured I couldn’t make It I probably would have had to anchor or hang out until the tide changed and hoped the wind didn’t get worse. I did get back in eventually and it rained.
I’ll try again.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-29-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook