SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions for potential first time charter (Safety and Boat Size)
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011

Kmkennedy14 is on a distinguished road
Questions for potential first time charter (Safety and Boat Size)

Some friends and I are looking at chartering a 40 foot cat for the first time. Most of us have very limited sailing experience so we would be obtaining a captain and host for our trip. My questions are as follows

1. There would be 8 people on the boat (6 guests and captain and host). The boat is a 40 foot Moorings 4000 I believe (I apologize for my lack of boat knowledge). It says it can sleep 8 adults and 2 children and there are 4 small rooms and 2 bathrooms. My question is, can people be somewhat comfortable on a boat this size? Ideally I think I would like one a bit bigger, but price might be prohibitive. We are a fairly laid back group and can roll with it so I donít think we all need a ton of space, but I do want to make sure we wont be totally cramped and uncomfortable if we spend a week on this boat. We will be spending a good chunk of our days snorkeling, in beach bars, or exploring islands so the majority of our time on the boat we will be either sailing, during meal time, or sleeping.

2. We have never done a charter boat before, so a few of the ladies of the group are a bit nervous just from hearing stories of property or violet crime against small boat goers in different parts of the world. I have not heard of any particular problems in the B.V.I. and U.S.V.I., but if anyone has any input on safety issues in the area, or issues I should be aware of before we book this charter, I would be appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any help with either of my questions.

K.K.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook