SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rough couple of days almost didn't make it
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
You did better than me!

Hey,

You did better than me: I couldn't even make it to my boat!

Yesterday I figured I would go down to boat around noon. I planned on eating lunch, working (there is wifi in the marina) with my computer, and just spending a few hours on board.

The marina is about 15 minutes from my house. I didn't check the tides, but I must have arrived at high tide. When I got down to harbor the road was flooded. The road runs right along the harbor and then between the beach on the north and the harbor on the south. Between the east wind blowing water into the sound and the new moon high tide, the water came up and up and up and over the road. I drove through the first part and saw minnows swimming over the road. I made it to a dry section, but saw at least a foot of water ahead of me and I know that it would be deeper after that so I turned around and went home.

Later I intentionally drove in the rain, looking for puddles to wash the salt off the bottom of the Honda Odyssey van.

Map of the harbor:
mt sinai harbor - Google Maps

BTW, if you zoom in enough and know where to look, you can see my boat in the picture.
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 09-29-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook