SailNet Community - View Single Post - New to SailNet; Old in General
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
New to SailNet; Old in General

Hello to All,
My boating started on the York River in Maine where my dad quickly went through several boats from a 19' runabout to a 35' cabin cruiser (he bought and sold them, he didn't leave them on the bottom).

Whatever parents do is never good enough for their children, so my older brother got into sailing and his first boat was a 19' Hershoff. I sailed with him 6 or 8 times before I left to join the Navy and the seed was planted.

When I got to my first duty station in Hawaii, I took some lessons and started renting their O'day Widgeon 13 dinghys and got enough hours to be able to rent the Rhodes 19 keelboats. My wife really appreciated the difference! Check this out: $3 an hour to rent a Rhodes 19 (in 1985) and the place was on my way home!

After I left the Navy, I bought a Luger 16 trailer boat and soon moved up to a Catalina Capri 18. I only sailed the 18 for 3 years before finances and family issues forced me to sell it. Fast forward 14 years and I bought another Capri 18. (It might be the same one, I never wrote down the hull number!)

I've been sailing this C-18, the Moment of Zen, for 2 seasons and have plans to finally put it on a mooring next year. 'Trailer sailing', in my limited experience, means a lot of looking at my boat in the yard while nice days fly by.

So that's who and where I am. I'd classify myself as an intermediate sailor; I haven't done enough to be an old salt, but I've spent too much time on the water (and some of it under!*) to be a beginner.

I look forward to meeting you all,

Ken

*Crew member USS Hawkbill, SSN 666 1984-88.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook