SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do I calculate prop slip for my six pack test?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Tyler,

This thread is 9 years old, looks like it was revived again in 2009. However, I think the best advice here regarding this came on post # 4.

I'll try to answer, The OUPV is good for up to 100 tons. Depending on the type of waters you have documented your sea time on you can obtain an " Inland" or a "Near Coastal" License. Near Coastal requires appropriate time served beyond the Boundary line, which is not necessarily the same as Colregs line.

The Deck General for the OUPV is 60 questions and for a Masters Lic. it's 70.
You need a 70% passing grade in either.

I honestly don't remember, what the material difference in the questions were other than the number. My guess is that they might add some CFR questions regarding " inspected" vessels.

IF you go to the USCG site Deck Exam Guide - USCG National Maritime Center
It lays it all out for you.

All the subjects are relevant. However you really do need to Nail the rules of the road..that's where I've seen people fail the most. You need a 90% on the rules 30 questions. Which means you can't get more than 3 wrong.

The approved courses are good in that they will help focus you on what you need to know.
In other words, (for good or bad) they'll teach to the test. They will also help you with the paperwork.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook