SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying to understand boat registration
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SELL MY DOCUMENTED VESSEL?
When the sale is finalized you may complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale (CG-1340) or complete the “Sale or Transfer of Vessel” section on the reverse of the Certificate of Documentation (CG-1270). Documentation forms, fee schedules, and instructions are available for downloading on this web site. If there is an outstanding mortgage, the mortgagee ( lender) should complete a Satisfaction of Mortgage. The vessel cannot be removed from documentation with an outstanding mortgage.
Top of Page

IF you purchased the Vessel already, did the previous owner fill out the appropriate forms? As you say, you will not be able to title a vessel anywhere, without having done this AFIK.

After the owner undocuments the vessel. ( You have to be an American Citizen to document a US vessel) I believe you can register it and rename it whatever and wherever you want but, I'd simply call NC Basic Facts on Vessel Registration and Titling And Verify.

If you travel outside of canada and the US, you may bump into paperwork issues..having canadian citizenship and a US registered vessel.... ( Proof of ownership, title..etc)

Registering it in canada may make your life simpler. Then there's the whole thing about staying in the NC waters for more than 90 days... So I'd call them, and call home..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook