SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane damaged boats
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Maybe you found the diamond in the rough. Maybe it is a gem that was overlooked by all the sharks (dont get me started). But chances are that it is still sitting there for a reason.

Check out the hardware, etc. Have it looked over by someone that really knows boats. Before you commit yourself to something, better do some asking (as you are right now, of course). But I think everyone above is right: It is likely beyond salvage and no one wants to have the ultimate responsibility for it.

When I mentioned the hardware, let me give you a really good for example: Winch handle. You are not going to turn that drum without it. $40-50 dollars (and that is just a floating handle and not neccessarily a really good one). That $40-50 dollars is about 25% the price of your boat. Shackles, winches, sheet stops, etc... just the salvage costs of these are quite high. Now, how did the sharks miss those?? And if you have not caught on yet... how much are you going to have to pay to get that wreck ship-shape? What all do you need to pass a CGuard inspection. They will board your boat... eventually.

Better add up all the costs. It will easily be in the thousands. Now, you have put thousands into a boat that is worth what?? Now you want to get rid of it... how are you going to do that when they basically could not even give it away before.

Be cautious what you get for a couple hundred bucks. It could end up committing you to a lot more than that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook