SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane damaged boats
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006

sailphoto is on a distinguished road
We'll the first thing you two should do is hire a surveyor to have a look at the boat before you consider buying it. It may seem expensive at first, but I am confident it will save your money and possibly your life in the long run. I don't want to scare you, but without experience it is impossible to tell if there are major problems with a boat. If it turns out to have major problems which preclude it from being rebuilt and you have already bought it, it will probalby cost you more to dispose of it than it cost in the first place. If it is in ok shape and you are a reasonable handy person, many of the projects can be done by you. The trick is to know which ones. The articles on sailnet.com are good place to do research. Another good reference is a book called "This old Boat" by Casey. The real trick is to not just blunder into the projects without research. Boats have different rules than most everything we deal with on land i.e. stray currents can cause corrosion of through hulls etc. But it can be fun to do the research and the rewards of doing the projects the right way many. The fact that your here asking makes me think that your not the blundering type anyway. As far as going out on an untested boat with inexperienced crew- not a good idea. Find a friend who sails at the very least and do the survey first.
Also of course, as sailingdog mentioned make sure the seller can give a clear and legal title.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook