SailNet Community - View Single Post - tillerlock vs tiller clutch
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011

Windkiller is on a distinguished road
tillerlock vs tiller clutch

Hi there I'm trying to decide between these two tiller conrolling devices
I've checked out many of the others and researched and or tried some of the simpler options (bungies , cajun tamer etc) I realize they're not autopilots but a convenience for getting the odd thing done as well as useful for tacking, heaving to etc. I live in Vancouver Canada (this is somewhat relevant)
Both these units seem good and are constructed out of metals

The Clutch (a newer product made in the USA by Wavefront Marine out of aluminium and stainless)looks easier to use (one hand operation right by where your hand would sit) but it costs almost twice as much 69.99 + 12 S&H + 8-10 duty + roughly $90-$92
(pricey)
WaveFront Marine - The TillerClutch

The Lock (been around for a while, made in Canada out of stainless and navy brass) looks easy to use(but perhaps not as easy as it's farther from you hand and might require 2 hands briefly), is very striking in appearance(haha) and is a fair bit cheaper at 44.95 + 10.95 S+H (no duty)
roughly $56
canSail Marine Supplies
or
Sailboat Tillerlock, tiller lock your rudder. | eBay

I must admit being Canadian I like how the Cansail tillerlock is made here(patriotism and no duty!)and made out of brass and stainless but my tiller is 7/8" wide and quite rounded top and bottom so I'm not sure how it'll mount as it looks flat on the base, I guess a contoured shim could be made to rectify that problem. I'm waiting on question to the manufacturer

The Wavefront tillerclutch looks like it'd mount without mods and is handier but it comes with the larger price tag..(and it's aesthetic isn't as nice...I know insignificant when you're using it but both look functional)I do have a correspondant who has the same boat who uses one and he highly reccomends it)

My question is has anyone tried either of these units and can they reccomend them?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook