SailNet Community - View Single Post - tillerlock vs tiller clutch
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
I have used the Davis Tiller Tamer but did not like it. It required two hands: one to hold the tiller and one to turn the knob. The process took too long when I was in a hurry.

I used a lever type lock for many years and was pretty satisfied with it. It is no longer available but was very similar to the tiller lock you show except that it mounted on the bottom of the tiller. The base was a little wider than the tiller so I had to mount it with the screws angled in.

I got a new tiller this year and it is even narrower than the old one. No way could I mount the old tiller lock to it without fabricating some kind of mounting plate so I decided to try the new Tiller Clutch. Am I glad I did!! It works like a dream! I can flick it on or off with just my little finger on the hand holding the tiller. I can lock the tiller, use both hands to trim a sheet, and grab the tiller and unlock it in fractions of a second!

Bottom line: I highly recommend the Tiller Clutch. It is functionally superior to the other types IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook