SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring buoy bumps in the night
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011

KeithW is on a distinguished road
Mooring buoy bumps in the night

Hello all,

Wondering if anybody has some advice for this mooring annoyance.

We were moored overnight in Boston Harbor a few weekends ago, in Perry Cove on Peddocks Island, in a rented Pearson 26.

All went great, until about 5:30 the next morning, shortly after the tide began to flood. We were awoken with BUMP. BUMP. BUMP. I climbed out of the V-berth groggy and found the wind coming from starboard roughly between abeam and the aft quarter. The mooring pennant was taut and running straight back from the (port) bow chock, where the mooring buoy was bumping up against the port side of the boat.

I was not thinking very clearly and was perplexed. I thought perhaps the keel had become fouled on the mooring system, but no. I guessed that the combination of tidal current and wind was trapping us against the buoy.

I tried lengthening the pennant with a dock line, but this just caused the mooring buoy to start bumping up against the outboard.

I tried motoring in reverse to put the buoy upwind of us, which worked initially but after a few minutes the boat settled back into the old position and the BUMPs came back.

This was a rented boat with a nice flag-blue hull, and I really did not want to put a mark on the paint. Also the bumping at 5:30 a.m. was not being favorably received by the crew!

Eventually (and I'm not proud of this), I just put the mooring pennant temporarily on the aft cleat, where it was happy and stayed taut, with the wind dead astern! At least long enough to wake up properly, have some breakfast, and start sailing.

Was there a better solution here?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook