SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you think about starting a Pacific Seacraft Owner's Association?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011

bobdugan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacurves View Post
I would be happy to participate in a PSC association and would also enjoy getting to know other Great Lakes PSC sailors. Always looking to compare notes!

A while back someone started this site up -- Pacific Seacraft Owners Website. There is a list of PSC owners here. Nonetheless, compared to sailnet.com the traffic is pretty low.
Yep. I created that site. The site has some web pages, a board, and a list of PS owner blogs... and hopefully at some point we'll get a list of PS owners.

Regarding the board... I agree that Sailnet is much more active. My intent was not to replace or subvert this great online community. I don't think I realized how active the Sailnet group was before I set up the pacificseacraftowners board... I probably should have waited and observed a little bit first. I saw a couple of problems with Sailnet though... photo uploads are challenging, the board is dominated by advertisements, and the search feature doesn't work very well. Plus I guess the spirit of the Sailnet board is that it serves lots of sailboat enthusiasts, not just PS owners. I wanted to set up something that was just for PS owners.

I guess what I'm hoping for someday is a place online where PS owners can go to chat, lookup information about PS boats, sell PS boats and gear, and generally strengthen the PS community.

I'd also like to see the community grow offline and face-to-face. I really enjoyed meeting PS owners in the Northeast during my first summer cruise in our PS34... and I'd like to continue to build on the friendship and shared interest around these amazing boats.

The question is how do we get this owners association started? My concrete idea is to have informal gathering of PS owners here in the Northeast sometime in the early winter. We can meet, swap stories, make new friends and plan some get togethers over the summer... maybe even a cruise or rendezvous. That's something fun to do during the cold winter months here in the Northeast.

Maybe this face to face component could be replicated in other regions of the country... it seems like there are a lot of PS owners in Southern California (that makes a lot of sense), for example.

I'm not sure how to find PS owners here in the Northeast... so I'm hoping that if you have a PS and you are interested in getting together this winter to talk about all things Pacific Seacraft... that you will send me a message. I'm happy to set something up.

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook