SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011

Rheath123 is on a distinguished road
I was able to reuse the existing parts to repair the motor. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. You need to use the non-reinforced small ones for clearance and cut the
tube the motor sits in about half way down. You want to cut far enough towards the base to re-connect the wiring. Pull the top off (the part you cut away from the base. You will need to break the glue line that holds the old motor in. The new motor is slightly smaller in diameter than the old one. Center it into the part that you cut off and glue it in with a hot melt glue gun. Be sure to center the motor insure that the motor shaft does not rub the plastic which will cause drag on the motor. Now, place the motor tube on the base and solder the wires to the motor. I suggest you take the unit in the sun and confirm that you have hooked the motor up correctly. Reverse the wires if the motor runs backwards. Now use hot glue to attach the motor tube back onto the base. Build up a glue bead around the perimeter of the tube taking care to seal the glue joint so that no water can enter. Although hot glue isn't very strong it is good enough in this application and has the advantage that it can be disassembled should you need to replace the motor again.

Ray
SV Child's Play
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook